History

Elmwood M.B. Church has always had its roots in the heart of the city.  Originally founded in 1907 as the North End M.B. Church, its members met in a small chapel on Burrows Avenue. The congregation grew and in 1929 a new church was built on College Avenue. German-speaking immigrants experienced community in this church as they made a fresh start in a new country.  They found comfort in hearing God’s word preached in their mother tongue and reconnecting with friends and family.

In the 1950’s English services were introduced.  In 1953 a decision was reached to leave their location and build a new church on Kelvin Street, later renamed Henderson Highway.  It was named the Elmwood M.B. Church and opened its doors in 1954.

German services continued to be offered until several years ago with the purpose of serving young immigrant families from South America.

In 2012 the Elmwood congregation determined to move forward in the next chapter of sharing God’s message of hope with renewed passion to the local community and in this city. The vision of the founding church is still strong:  to be a place where people will meet Jesus, come to love him, choose to follow and serve Him.

For More Information